Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

What's in a name?

Back when I actually created this blog (and then never used it) I was 21 going on 22 years old and dreading it. I mean seriously, who doesn't want to stay 21 forever? I'd spent the year partying it up studying to become a qualified hairdresser (which I achieved in August 2012), and meeting various mental worldly people whom continue to enrich my life today.

Being 21 *sigh*

When it came to re-starting my blog I had imagined giving it a big, bloggy makeover. But to be honest, I'm just a little too lazy. I racked my poor shrinking brains for a brand spanking new name suitable for my foray into the world of impending motherhood but sadly pregnancy has robbed me of all rational and coherent thought. After spending an embarrassingly long amount of time staring at my laptop screen (something I seem to be doing more and more of lately) I decided to hell with it, what's in a name anyway? And then lazily kept the original blog name despite no longer being 21 (the shame)!

Luckily, I give more time and attention when it comes to naming the important people in my life (yes my dog is called Alvin, trust me it's a better name than the one I originally wanted to give him)! 

You wanted to call me what?!

When I got the first positive pregnancy test back in December (and the second, third, forth and fifth. Serial pee-er anyone?) I immediately set about picking names, one for a girl, one for a boy, just in case. That may seem a little extreme considering at the time of the positive test I was approximately 5 weeks pregnant but what can I say? I like to be organised. 

The first rule was, we both had to like the name. There was no "you name this one, I'll name the next one *snicker*" crap. I seriously had to veto a long, long list of awful football related names to begin with. How awful can football related baby names be I hear you ask? Bergkamp for a boy, Lanesra for a girl (read backwards) I mean really, Lanesra?! I was kind of hoping to be raising happy, well adjusted kids; not a poor miserable girl with a name that to be completely honest sounds like lesbian to me EVERY TIME I hear it (I know, it sounds nothing like the same, perhaps my brain is wired funny).

We went through Jack, Jackson, Rocky, Dennis, Henry among others for a boy and Isabella, Ruby, Caitlin, and India for a girl. We finally settled on Ramsey for a boy and Isla Joan for a girl. Two names which weren't even included on our original lists!! And so our future child gained his or her name at just 11 weeks gestation. 19 weeks and three scans later we discovered it was a Ramsey in our future (there was no mistaking that boy part! Except for when I totally did, cooing over the chubby "leg" at our 16 week private scan) and the debate has ensued on middle names. I'd imagine this little monster will end up with me scribbling a middle name on as secretly as possible when registering him be a cool trendsetter for his generation and end up with no middle name. 

Gemma xx






No comments:

Post a Comment